Today is Vishu. A day that historically coincides with a lot of good news for me. Lets see how the next 24 hours unfold. Just thought of putting in a placeholder posting here before I go off to sleep. You see, I have to wake up early tomorrow morning - planning to get up before the sun does, and get darshan of the little vishu-kani that I managed to assemble.
12:30 AM - In an effort to get everything ready before I go off to sleep, I pulled out the plug of the little electric clock that remained in the corner of the room. When I put it back on, the time was reset to 12:00 and it started blinking irritatingly. Nice start, I thought initially. In a few minutes, I tried out a few attempts to make it appear normal, but in vain. Then frantically, I pressed on a few buttons in tandem, thereby getting to know that it was the manner in which to use the buttons on it. I needed to press one of the buttons and then make the hour and minute changes. Well, so finally, by 12:45, I learnt to set the clock time and to set it right. That was some achievement considering the fact that the little clock had always intrigued me and it was always in the back of my mind to set the time right on it some day. Today was the day.
01:00 AM - Trying to go to sleep, but for some reason cant. Now since Vishu is new year for us, perhaps I was wondering about all the bad events in the past year. Of course, no one can go to sleep thinking about such events. So, I changed the strategy and it worked. That's why I dozed off soon thereafter. Now dont ask me what the strategy was. I dont remember as I dozed off, you see. :-)
05:00 AM - or thereabouts, I dont know the exact time but I surely know that this was before the alarm time. In the faint light of my digital equipments, I took darshan of the vishu-kani that I could touch by hand. I started getting into meditation mode, but wasnt getting strong enough. Went back to sleep soon.
05:30 AM - The first of the alarms started ringing. I say first because as is my practice, I go back to snooze mode at least twice. I was still very groggy but suddenly decided to have darshan of the digital vishu-kani that Mom had sent from back home. I went over to the laptop. Tried out the fingerprint sensor login thrice, didnt work out! Logged in using the password, trying not to read anything. You see taking darshan on this day is all about starting off the day with setting your eyes first on something pleasant. Well, I had set the photo ready to be seen as soon as I logged in. And it worked! The divine sight looked too real to be called just a digital photo. I wondered in amazement, perhaps not thinking about God, but just about how the lamp looked so real. The light from it appeared to fill the room when the sun wasnt up yet. And this surely got rid of my grogginess. I was truly awake. Perhaps I should try this daily since I spend around 30 to 60 minutes every morning in the groggy state. I spent some better moments in meditation.
06:00 AM - I decided to put down all the happenings here. I see that the sun is fast catching up. Of course, it eventually wins everyday as it knows what to do. It has a clear path set in front of it, whereas I just keep wondering day after day.
06:15 AM - Have to leave by 7. So, let me start getting ready for work. More updates later.
07:00 AM - Got a voicemail from my SPM that she wont be coming to office today as she is down with flu. The only other guy with whom I carpool had already told me that he wont be coming today. So, that just leaves me with the bus option, unless I want to get desperate and call someone else this early in the morning.
07:10 AM - Doesnt matter how early I get up. I always end up rushing at the last minute. The bus is supposed to leave at 07:10 and I am making sure that I have my breakfast before I leave the flat. I am drinking the milk so fast that it is coming out of my nose. Talk about a release valve! So, I reach the bus stop at 07:12 AM thinking that the bus would have already left, but I see quite a few people standing at the bus stop. Nice sight - 5 Indians and one white lady. I greet those I know and go to the end of the queue. Thankfully, the bus came 5 minutes late or perhaps someone told me the wrong actual arrival time.
07:15 AM - Now the thing about the buses here is that they accept some bus passes. Others can put in cash - currency notes or coins. The bus fare is $2.75 to the downtown and on the first day here, I made the mistake of putting in a 5$ note. The change didnt come out of the box and the driver told me that he was helpless. Ah, the agonies of an automated civilized life! Since that day, I made it a practice to tender exact change. But this day, I was out of 1 dollar notes. I had some 1 dollar coins - a rare and I believe new sight for most. So, I asked the driver if his coin consumer would accept the 1 dollar coins. He said he didnt know but that I can try. I put in the dollar coin and the machine shows 0.20. He said thats ok, put it all in. I will make it a discount. Some discount! I was putting in the entire fare. Anyway, this was better than losing out. So, this was a nice start.
07:18 AM - Yes, unlike most other places, the bus actually stops at the bus stop here and it does so for a few minutes. I sat down next to one of my colleagues - a senior technical architect. I did this as I figured I had forgotten my trusty iPod. In a few minutes, I had the big guy sleeping.
07:45 AM - The bus reached the office gates. Another boring day ahead!
09:00 AM - Got some time to follow up on lots of mails since offshore is on leave today.
11:00 AM - Such a great day. I just have one meeting today, and a very safe one. I get to spend the rest of the time in my cube - lucky me!
05:00 PM - Another gruelling day comes to an end, with me wondering about what I was doing at work. Is this the kind of job I wanted?
06:00 PM- I get back home. I upload the Dallas pics and send some design review comments to offshore.
07:30 PM - I rush off to the gym, trying to get something out of this day which is otherwise seemingly devoid of any happenings.
08:30 PM - Quick shower and time to cook some food. And time to start blogging again. In parallel, I get involved in some chatting with my friends.
10:00 PM - Dinner and a movie
11:00 PM - Offshore call
12:30 AM - That was another long call. Now for some chat with folks at home.
01:00 AM - Time to sleep. Another early morning is on the horizon. I will let the sun beat me this time.
Evidently, there were no miracles on this Vishu. Looking forward to a great day. As some great singer has said, or sung rather, "On a day like today, the whole world will change..."
Note to self: Blog about my last weekend's Dallas trip - with the :) and the :(
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment