Monday, November 5, 2007

Why does it happen?

Sometimes, I wonder why it happens.

"Do you believe in fate, Neo?" I ask that question to myself quite often. But, I never come up with a satisfying reply. It's pretty similar to another oft-repeated question of mine: "Who am I a better fan of - Mammootty or Mohanlal?" But perhaps, it doesn't matter, since I am a better Amitabh Bachchan fan. Similarly, perhaps it doesn't matter whether I am a believer of fate, or God, or some super-human, super-natural force. Sometimes, certain events make you sit up and take notice.

Last month, someone told me November would turn out to be a good month for me. I gave it my usual cynical reply.

Nov 1st - We were the defending champions. But, a team is only as good as its players. With most of the players missing from last year , we were actually not the favorites to win the match. But, we did the unexpected and came up trumps. Not that I was the star player of the day - I rarely have been. But, winning that game suddenly gave me that surge of energy that was missing for quite a few days. And before I forget to mention this, it was a game of football/soccer.

Nov 3rd - We were working on this project for the last 10 months or so. I had put in my best efforts for at least 8 of these, giving between 12 to 20 hours every day, working even on weekends and holidays, and without much appreciation either. We were looking forward to another gruelling month or so. Suddenly, on this day, I heard from my colleagues that this project was called off by the client CIO. I felt quite elated that I didn't have to toil for another month with a tired mind. To be honest, I also felt a bit melancholic, since it felt as if all our effort over the past 10 months just withered away. I had mixed emotions. It felt as if Sachin had scored a century and India still managed to lose the match.

Nov 5th - We come to office, are at our desks, but the atmosphere has been covered with a blanket of anti-climax. What are we supposed to do today? Let's go to the food court, my cubicle-mate suggested. In the food court, I have a few seconds of wit with the servers. Lost in my thoughts, I come face to face with the one whom I would have liked to come face to face quite often. But, as usual, I find it difficult to say a word. Never mind, perhaps thats how I would like it to be. Another lucky day?

Sometimes, I wonder why it happens.

1 comment:

Dhanya said...

Why does it happen? Even I have wondered umpteen times, why does it have to happen? Sometimes, the question changes to, why does it have to happen to me?

But no matter what happened, many a times I have realised that, what ever happens, happens for a reason. We might no see the brighter side of it now, but at a later stage, we definitely will.