Sunday, November 18, 2007

What am I doing?

Ah, the eternal questions - Who am I? What am I doing? What am I supposed to do? Where can I look for my mission console in this game of life? Haven't got a clue so far. :-)

So, let me try to answer a few questions that I believe I have an answer for. For starters, what am I doing here when India is playing a cricket match right now. Answer - Sachin got out.

I read this somewhere recently - as anyone who has driven on Indian roads would have noticed, Indians are very competitive. This also came up when I was discussing problems at work with one of my previous project managers, when he mentioned that it was like people breaking traffic rules on Indian roads - it shouldn't happen, but it happens a lot. So, the question here is why does this happen? I guess its due to the competitiveness that comes up in India. You don't get anything on a platter in this country. Even if its your right, you need to grab it before someone else does.

Another example of this was when I was in the gym the other day. It happened when I was just about to use an equipment. I thought I should have asked people around me whether they are still using it. If it were the US, I would have done it. But, I didn't do it here. Why? Perhaps, the difference here is the population density. I would have to ask 4 guys as compared to 1 in the US. So, the reasoning here is "use it, unless someone complains about it". This also reminds me of another funny quote from a project manager having Indian roots and working in Los Angeles. He used to say "I would rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission."

And to continue on my previous posting, we won another football match today, and without our lead players. We seem to be making a habit of doing it against the odds. We beat the league toppers, to become the league toppers. :-) The team is undefeated so far and all league matches are over. Hope we continue the form in the finals as well. November has been good so far.

That's it for now. There are quite a few random thoughts here. Perhaps, next time, I would be able to arrange them in an order to make more sense.

No comments: