Monday, February 17, 2014

Polite tricks

Ever since I remember, I have always tried to stay away from the front pages of the newspapers, where the news is about the daily happenings, especially about political news. I would usually find myself glued to the last few pages of the newspaper, where it has some sports events.

As I inch towards my mid-thirties, I find that sport, although keeps me as interested as before, is not as pertinent in affecting my life anymore. And so, I start taking an interest in the politics of the country of my current residence, India.

Here are a few tips from this political-low-brainer:

  1. Say no to caste or gender based reservation. It is to give sops to those who are poor, but ensure below-poverty-line cards are given to eligible folks only.
  2. Please dont conduct budget before elections. Let the incoming government decide the future for the next year.
  3. Talk about what your party did, not what is wrong with the other party.
  4. Instead of protesting after the government does something, the opposition should mention the top things they feel should be done for the country, and then start the constructive debates.
  5. Political parties should make their stands transparent for each discussion topic.
  6. Government should bring in better transparency:
    1. Inform people in each locality/constituency/district/state (whatever works) that this is the amount of money we have to spend
    2. Ask the people what their top priorities are for the locality
    3. Validate feasibility and get time & money estimates for these tasks
    4. Prioritize, take actions and keep giving status updates at least every month or so
    5. Don't splurge on building bridges or statues without asking the people
  7. Governments should look at basic necessities, instead of promising the moon
    1. Keep the city clean; impose fines on those breaking the law
    2. Ensure traffic rules are obeyed; impose traffic fines on those breaking the law
    3. Build basic infrastructure for roads and footpaths
    4. How easy is it to get a driver's license

No comments: